Skip Navigation

History: The 'Interurban'

On August 13, 1904, the first electric cars carrying passengers made their inaugural trip over the "Interurban."

On the same day, a booster power station was started for the first time - and that power station would eventually become the Iowa Electric Power & Light Company and later into CRANDIC parent company Alliant Energy.

Interurban Rail Pass

The CRANDIC provided both freight and passenger service between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City.

A regular schedule began with a two-hour trip between the towns, with a goal of reducing the transit to one hour or less as service became more established.

Looking back, it is easy to note that the popularity of the rail service was attributable to the scarcity of automobiles and suitable road systems at the time.

Photo gallery:

CRANDIC's First Passenger Car

CRANDIC officially began service as an interurban electric railroad
on August 13, 1904. Avondale streetcar No. 1 was CRANDIC's first
passenger car. Conductor Wilson C. Stookey and
Motorman Harry Price are shown here on June 4, 1904.

CRANDIC's First Engineer - Jack W. Hageman

Seventeen-year-old Jack W. Hageman (outside the car on the right) served as
the CRANDIC's first engineer. Hageman worked at the CRANDIC for 48 years.
Also shown in this 1906 photo are Conductor J.E. Stevenson; General Freight and
Passenger Agent R. F. Ross; Brakeman William Hensley; and Jack's father, F. B. Hageman.

Next: The First Passengers >>